Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search One Little Mom

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Tips for helping to keep your family cold and flu free...

Fall is most definitely blowing it's way through our hometown. This means it is the time of year when our children and families are most susceptible to coming down with the flu or a cold. I can not tell you how important it is to teach our children (and sometimes our hubby's) to follow a few simple steps to keep ourselves germ free so that we can enjoy the season!

Here are a few of my personal tips and tricks:

1. Make sure you teach your children to cover their coughs and sneezes. While covering your mouth and nose with your hands will suffice, it is best to teach them to use the inside of their elbows. This way they won't be temped to use their hands afterwards, spreading more germs!

2. Wash wash wash! I really drill my kids about the importance of hand washing! They are encouraged to wash before and after every meal at home and at school. As well as after playing on the playground at recess. 
They have a step stool in their bathroom giving them the freedom to wash on their own!

3. Put a small package of tissue in your child's backpack. Last year I dropped into my sons classroom to only see they had run out of tissue. Their only option was paper towels. Most kids chose their hands and shirts instead, ewwww!

4. Ask your child's teacher if it is acceptable to send a small bottle of hand sanitizer to school. You can even donate a HUGE bottle, ensuring the children all have the chance to use it. I like to keep it in my purse, the car, and next to the sink!

5. If you are comfortable with the idea, you can have your family receive the flu shot. 

6. Teach your children that while it is always nice to share with your friends, germs are something we want to keep to ourselves. This means no sharing drinks, chapstick, etc. 

7. Give your child a multi-vitamin everyday. 

8. As a Mommy, I also take precautions around the house! I constantly wipe down the counters, tables, and toys. Light switch's and door knobs are also places germs love to hang out. Take the time to wipe them off, or give them a daily spray with Lysol (one of my favorite products)!

There really isn't anything I wouldn't do in order to keep my kids cold and flu free. My son suffers from asthma, and something that starts as simple a small cough can really escalate to him being very sick, very fast! I hope you have found my tips and tricks helpful. Of course I would love for you to leave me a comment with anything else you can think of. 

“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Lysol blogging program, for a gift card worth $40. For more information on how you can participate, click here

No comments: