Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search One Little Mom

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Protecting your Family Nest!

Did you know that half of Americans claim to be under insured? To me that is an astonishing number, I can't even begin to imagine where my family would be without the right insurance. For my family being insured is an absolute must! I am a stay-at-home mommy, which means that my husband is our primary bread winner! Not to mention his line of work puts him at a greater risk for injury, which down right scares the you know what out of me! I know that in this economy most people think that they or their partner won't need the insurance, that it is just an added cost each month that they can't really afford. But it is actually more affordable than you may think, it can be as low as $20 a month in some cases. Looking at the BIG picture it isn't very unreasonable at all. Ask yourself, where would you be without life insurance? I know I would be at a complete loss of funds to cover any medical expenses, funeral costs, not to mention pay my mortgage! Here are a few tips to help you protect what means the most to us:

*Insure yourself and you spouse! As horrible as the thought of losing a loved one is, it is a reality and it is better to be financially prepared. Life insurance is a must for me!

*Start a saving account! My hubby and I always put money away each month. Even if it is only $20. Every little bit helps. You never know when or why you will need it.

*Make sure you have a good retirement plan! These days most people are extremely lucky have a stable job, so set your self up for the future! It is a shame to work so hard now and not reap the benefits once you retire, right?

*Start a college fund for the kids! By starting when they are very young you can put a little away each month, or even once a year around tax time! Education is so important, and I want to make sure that I give my kids the best opportunity possible.

*Open a saving account for the kids! Both of my children have had savings accounts since the time they were born. Every holiday and each birthday they both receive a few checks here and there. We just deposit them and let it collect the interest. We have decided that we will give them the option to use it towards a car when the time comes or just continue to save it for a rainy day!

*Have a family plan! Make sure everyone knows what to do, and where to go during an emergency! I know that most of us have very young children, so making sure they know what to do in any emergency is key! Being a stay-at-home mommy I always worry about something happening to me and my kids not knowing how to get the help we need. Take the time to teach them! Accidents do happen!

I hope that I was able to give you some ideas to keep your Family Nest safe and sound! I would love for you to leave me a comment with any other ideas you may have! We can never be to safe!

Disclosure:“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Allstate blogging program, for a gift card worth $50. For more information on how you can participate, click here.” 

No comments: