Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search One Little Mom

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Health Care & My Family



What is the most important thing to you in the entire world? I can almost guarantee that we would all say it is our family! Mommies and Daddies are especially protective (in my case overly) of their baby bears. We would do just about anything to keep them safe, healthy, and thriving. 

After participating in an online briefing session with WellPoint- who is one of the largest health benefits companies in the nation. The company has affiliated health plans in 14 states that fall under the names Anthem BlueCross and BlueShield, Anthem BlueCross in California, Empire BlueCross BlueShield in New York and BlueCross BlueShield of Georgia, I really got to thinking-

Would I ever let my children do or participate in something that could potentially harm them or make them sick and say "Well, if something happens we will take care of it then!"

No way...

I would do everything in my power to prevent injury or illness. Seems logical, right?
So, why would I ever expect anything less from an insurance company that is suppose to do the same for my most precious possessions, my family! 

Look at these little faces...there is nothing I wouldn't do to keep them healthy & happy!


During the briefing session I learned a few things about WellPoint and it's affiliated health plans. Below you will find some of my favorite things. Let's just say...it was more personalized and supportive than I ever realized or knew possible.

*24/7 NurseLine: When your doctor has gone home but you need quick health answers, this service provides accurate info and 1-on-1 counseling with experienced registered nurses any time of the day or night through a toll-free number. This team of knowledgeable and caring nurses is there to help you assess symptoms and help you determine whether you should see the doctor, go to the ER or visit an urgent care center. They’re also prepared to answer questions about best practices when it comes to things like immunizations and various public-health issues.

*Future Moms: Not only does the company help you tackle the day-to-day challenges of being a mom, but it also helps you before you actually take on that role, through its Future Moms maternity program. This program gives very personalized support to expectant moms, helping them achieve healthier pregnancies and healthier deliveries – which can lead to having healthier babies. The program includes risk screening and educational support as well as post-delivery follow-up, which includes screening for depression for those of us who have faced something even more severe than the “Baby Blues.” It also helps provide you with the information and tips you need as a new parent to care for your child throughout the first year. Depending on whether you purchased your benefits yourself or receive them through your employer, you may need to enroll in this program. Simply call the number on your insurance card to check on eligibility and if you need to enroll.

*Personalizing Your Health: Knowing that moms have little time in their day to focus on just themselves, WellPoint and its affiliated health plans have provided a health and wellness portal that you can customize to your needs. The portal lets you – and other family members (yes, Dads too!) – develop a personalized health plan and includes email reminders and prompts for you to do the things you need to do – like scheduling check-ups and working out. It also contains a live-chat feature as well as access to a health coach for support with health resources, and even services as specific as
providing suggestions for quick and healthy recipes. Fitness devices are also available to help measure your steps, activity and even your sleep! These options are available not just though the workplace, but also as a part of personal plans such as consumer directed plans as well as in several states, including Connecticut, Colorado, Nevada, New Hampshire, Maine and Virginia. The company is also working to introduce a similar portal for all of its members in the future.

*Fitness to Fit Your Lifestyle: Being a mom often times means putting your family’s needs before your own, leaving very little time to work on your personal fitness goals. Understanding this, WellPoint and its affiliated health plans have partnered with FitOrbit to offer convenient and affordable ways for you to achieve your personal fitness goals. FitOrbit is available to anyone who wishes to sign up on the Fitorbit.com site. However, the company plans to incorporate FitOrbit into some of its products for employers, as well as offer it at a discounted rate to members in the future. FitOrbit provides:

-Unlimited access to a real personal trainer who, unlike trainers at the gym, is available to you around the clock.
-Customized, family friendly meal plan including recipes and even a grocery list!
-Detailed, personalized fitness plan that you can do anywhere, anytime. Whether it’s doing lunges at the playground while you push your child on the swing or doing squats while folding laundry, your personal trainer can help you find moments during the day when you can easily add an exercise!

*WellPoint would also like to offer you all a discount to FitOrbit that you can access right here: http://www.fitorbit.com/ib/MOMSAVES25*

I feel like I left the briefing session well informed and aware that they are making an effort to step up and think outside of the typical box. I really enjoyed all that I learned about WellPoint and their affiliates. I can also appreciate their efforts to change in a world where busy parents like ourselves need tools and support in many aspects of our lives that seem to go unnoticed or even unspoken of. I know for one I would have loved to have the Future Moms Maternity program available to me especially after having Little Dude. Feeling overwhelmed and under rested was a awful combination as a first time parent. It would have been nice to have that support without feeling ashamed or embarrassed to admit defeat to family and friends.

When it comes to health insurance and your family, what are your expectations? Does your provider meet or exceed them? The well being of our families is so important. I hope that this will at least get you thinking about what is out there and available to you and your family.

For myself, I know that when it comes to my health and the health and care of my family, I want to be more than just a medical record and I want my provider to be more than just a toll free number!

Disclosure: This post was written while participating in a campaign with WellPoint and TheMotherhood. Information was provided to me. All opinions however are 100% my own. I will be compensated for my efforts.


No comments: